Monday, September 17, 2018

Zip It!!!

While the girls are compiling their fashion month reports, I thought I'd do a quick tutorial on zippers. In the world of doll fashion where most designers use snaps, hooks and velcro, a dress with a zipper is a luxury item. It's not that they are difficult to put them in. The problem--and expense--lies in finding doll sized zippers. Not an easy task. And when you do find them---well....even though they are 1/6 the size of a normal zipper--they certainly are not 1/6 the price! Yes, they are small, but they are ever as complex as the real thing.



I have been to fabric and notions stores everywhere looking for 1/6 zippers.  I will tell you now, you will have to order them online. For this post, I bought metal separating and metal regular zippers at I Sew For Dolls. (Located in the US, they ship fast. My order was perfect.) There are three other online sources that sell them as well. (Their websites are listed under Tutorials-Fab Favorite Resources.) Prior to buying 1/6 scale, I have to admit I've used 4"(10 cm) pant or jean zippers. They are the same length as doll size however, the teeth and zipper pulls are a bit large on the doll. The image above on the left shows the difference between human and doll zippers. On the right, the nylon zipper teeth are closer in scale, however the zipper pull is out-sized and I have yet to figure out how remove it! Nonetheless, the pant zipper is perfect for a 16" doll dress and will make do for the 12" doll inasmuch as it is sewn in the back which is out of view.

The Dress Zipper
Let's start with something simple. Whether you use a 1/6th zipper or a 4" (10cm) pant zipper, putting it in is the same.
1. Using a long, running stitch, baste the center back seam of your dress closed. No matter what happens, this ensures the zipper will line up perfectly with the center back seam of your dress.
2. Make sure the zipper is zipped shut and lay it face down against the seam of the dress. Leave a small space at the top of the dress (about 1/4" or 5mm) near the neckline.
3. Baste each side of the zipper to the corresponding side of the center back seam.
4. Working your way down one side of the back (about 1/8" (3mm) clear of the center back, stitch the zipper to the dress, using a tiny back-stitch. This is, in effect, a top stitch. (Note: You can also top-stitch using a sewing machine. Just be sure to use a zipper foot.)
5. When you get to where the zipper pull is, move it down a little then continue to stitch the zipper to the dress until you have finished. Repeat on the opposite side being care to create a line of stitches equally spaced from the center back seam.

6. You can finish the dress as you would normally. However, if you have gone through the trouble of buying zippers for your clothes, maybe you should consider putting in a lining! I've sewn my lining in as usual, leaving the space down the center back seam. I fold the lining's center back seams inward and pin so the bottom of the zipper is exposed and clear from the fabric. You want to get close to the zipper but far enough away so that the lining doesn't get caught.
7. I've hand stitched everything down. And at the top of the zipper---a hook and eye keeps it all closed and neat!


The Separating Zipper
Whereas you can probably get away with using a human sized 4" zipper to close the back of the dress, a separating zipper--that which is used for jackets--is another story! (If you attempt to use a regular zipper, the doll won't be able to get out of the jacket!) When you find a 1/6 separating zipper, it is a truly remarkable item worth the price. Fully functional and perfectly scaled, the doll jacket because a true miniature marvel. Putting this in is easy provided you remember to keep the zipper closed in the first few steps!
1. The material or fabric you use will determine the option you should chose. If you are working with a woven fabric that ravels at the edges, I would opt for the same instructions we used for the back zipper. But for this jacket, I am using python printed and stamped vinyl. Whether vinyl, plastic or leather, you don't have to worry about frayed edges but you do have to be concerned about bulk. So for this exercise, I am simply aligning the cut edge of the jacket against each side of the zipper. I pin the inside of the seams to the jacket.
2. Repeat on the other side, being careful that the two sides of the jacket line up perfectly.
3. Baste the jacket to the zipper. Check to make sure the zipper can move up and down smoothly without getting jammed.
4. If you are going to use a machine to top stitch this down, be sure to use a zipper foot. My machine is old, but your zipper foot will look similar to this. The zipper foot is more narrow than the regular one.
5. It is designed to hold the fabric/zipper down while leaving the needle free to stitch without obstructions. You can also elect to hand stitch this as we did with the dress zipper.
Waris can wear this jacket open and over a matching skirt. Or she can lend it to her girlfriend, Katoucha who wears it zipped up over pair of a silk abstract printed pair of trousers.

There are times, however, when putting in a zipper is more complicated. As an inspiration for my next project, I found a photo of a biker's jacket I wanted to make for my guys.
This was a bit of a challenge. The zipper is at a slight angle. The left lapel folds inward and the jacket zips up to the tip of the shoulder. Note how the zipper runs along one edge of the lapel but not the other. And to boot---it's all in leather!!!
This is a version of the pattern I used. Inasmuch as this is a tutorial on zippers, I decided to use a simplified version so as not to confuse you with umpteen pattern pieces. The principle for putting in the zipper, however, remains the same. The zipper is sewn into a seam on one side and is part of the lapel on the other. I cut (my) left side in two (blue line) and added seam allowance to both pieces. The zipper will lie against where you see the fuzzy green line. (The lapel folds over where you see the fold line.)
1. Using chalk, I drew in the seam allowance on the side front pattern. This provides a guide for the placement of the zipper.
2. I lightly press that line to further help me with my placement of the zipper.
3. In this instance, I open the separating zipper and place one side of it onto the side front panel. The teeth are facing inward--the seam allowance of the zipper placed along the seam of the side front jacket panel. I pin then baste the zipper onto the jacket (place pins on the seam allowance away from the stitch line). Even with lightweight leather, you will need to use a thimble.
4. My center front panel (which also has the lapel extension) goes on top and the zipper is sandwiched in the middle. I baste all three layers together using a long running titch. Basting keeps everything together as you sew the jacket together.
5. Now sew.
6. When you are finished and you turn the jacket to the right side up, the zipper teeth to the right.
6. Hammer the seams flat, being careful to avoid the zipper teeth.
7.  Turn the left front and left side front right side out.
8. Zip the two sides of the zipper shut.
9. Place the right jacket front over the zipper and pin to the seam allowance. Carefully unzip the zipper and baste in place. Again, the zipper teeth should be facing inwards, away from the front edge.
10. Place the facing over the right jacket front with the zipper sandwiched in between and sew.
11. Clip the seam allowance around the tip of the lapel. Turn right side out. Use a pin to completely turn out the lapel tip. The zipper teeth should be now pointing outward towards the center front. Hammer the lapel flat.
12. Complete the jacket.

When All Else Falls, Fake It!
I could have stopped there, but you know me. There's always one more thing I want to try. What if....you are somewhere and those lovely doll zippers are not available. What if, your doll could care less about functionality and he (or she) simply wants the look of hardware.....
 1. I started out by removing a metal zipper from an old, very decrepit pair of my dad's jeans. You can just go out and buy one if nothing is readily available. n any case, you should use a zipper that is color coordinated to the outfit you want to sew it in. Zip up the zipper so that the teeth are closed. Measure out the length you need and make a series of stitches around that point so the zipper won't unravel after you cut it. You need to do this at both ends.
2. Pin one side to the center front edge of the jacket.
3. Sew in place. On the other side of the zipper teeth, sew or glue a strip of velcro directly onto the zipper tape.
4. Add the other half of the velcro to the inside edge of the jacket.

The jacket can't be zipped up or down. The velcro holds it closed and simply gives the LOOK of a zippered jacket while allowing the doll to get in and out of it. And why not fake the look of zippered pockets!?!


1. This time, I took a bit of the zipper but left it open.
2. I placed each piece on the jacket for placement. When I have the placement I want, I used pins to indicate the line of the pocket.
3. On the inside, I mark those pin points with pencil. And connect the dots with a cutting line.
4. Using a blade or very sharp small scissors, slice open this line.
5. Now slide in the zipper sample.
6. This is how it looks right side up.
7. Stitch along the bottom of the opening.

If you try this out for your design, keep in mind you will need to allow for the extra space the zipper will take up in the front!

All text and photos property of Fashion Doll Stylist. Copyright 2018. Please ask permission before reposting. And please credit us. Thank you!

Follow us on Twitter: @FashDollStylist
Like us on Facebook: @FashDollStylist
We're also on Pinterest: @FashDollStylist
And of course, we are on Instagram: @fashiondollstylist

18 comments:

  1. Very useful tutorial and I'm super happy for pattern for jacket! I had terrible problem with making righ one :/ Can I ask about any measurnement of it, to check if I printed right size?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jewel. Happy to know this post was useful. The jacket pattern on this page was made to fit an FR Hommes body. It's based on the "Good Foundations: The Slim Fit Bodice for Ken" post (July 9, 2014) where I show how to make a basic sloper for the male doll. This front jacket pattern measures 3" from the underarm point on the side to the hem (without seam allowance). Initially I had planned to do a tutorial solely on the biker jacket, but, 3 prototypes later, it got quite so complex I was afraid few people would be able to follow it. I couldn't do another (more simple) jacket because I didn't have enough leather!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful!
    I loved the python print suit, how did you do the stand up collar? The diagonal zip jacket would look great on a girl too, thank you so much.

    I picked up some small swatches of leather in fab colours at the weekend. Not enough to do a whole suit in the same colour but the larger ones would be big enough for a skirt or possibly a jacket. Can I ask does it matter with leather that the pattern pieces are all placed the same way? The smaller pieces are only 3 x 6 cm and I thought perhaps shoes, handbags, perhaps a leather bra top, any other ideas would be gratefully received.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. The python suit has a funnel collar. That means it curves up from the top neck point and under the chin. It's to give the look of a turtleneck without the seam. I originally designed it for a true leather or suede jacket. In fact the blue suede jacket in my last post on leather is the same--only without zipper. The funnel collar works better when the material is more supple (than vinyl). As for your 3x6 cm swatches---that's pretty small. Yes you can use them for accessories (don't forget jewelry!), but you can also overlap the swatches and glue or stitch them together into a patchwork to create a simple garment--skirt, top, vest, or simple jacket!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the wonderful tutorial and inspiration! The biker jacket is bomb! I will just leave here the link to one-piece zippers I bought, the cheapest I could find but identical to yours. You can delete it from the comment .
    http://s.aliexpress.com/UZZzUzuQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BlackKitty. I love my biker jacket. This was supposed to be a tutorial on just that jacket, but things got complicated once I moved from fabric to leather. And, as luck would have it, my machine started acting up so at the last minute, I decided against top stitching anything! As soon as I can get my hands on some more leather, I'll make another one--perhaps more simple--and do a step by step tutorial. But this one is made from a beautiful swatch of glove leather and feels wonderful to the touch! Thank you for the email resource for dolly zippers. I'm leaving it in your comment especially for people outside of the US looking for zippers and other 1/6 scale dolly resources.

      Delete
  4. Kolejny raz potrafisz mnie zadziwić, zaskoczyć i zafascynować! Ubrania dla lalek z wszytym zamkiem błyskawicznym są naprawdę towarem luksusowym! Wcale się temu nie dziwię, bo wszycie takiego zamka jest bardzo trudne! Tobie jednak wyszło to znakomicie! Stroje są bardzo profesjonalnie wykończone i dokładnie uszyte a męskie kurtki ze skóry to już mistrzostwo świata!
    Super!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olla wrote:
      Once again you can amaze me, surprise and fascinate me! Doll clothes with sewn zipper are really a luxury item! I'm not surprised at all, because sewing such a lock is very difficult! However, you did it great! The outfits are very professionally finished and carefully sewn and the men's leather jackets are already the world championship! Super!

      Thank you Olla. The last menswear trend report I did, I spotted a Dolce Gabbana leather biker jacket and that thought remained with me. I took my time making this jacket--a real challenge! But in the end, I am quite happy with the result. Putting zippers in doll dresses really brings them up a notch, transforming them into real miniature clothing! I just wish I had the time and money to put them in everything I make!

      Delete
  5. That's a great post. As always you give so many useful tips. Thank you!
    I can only add that invisible zippers are quite good for dolls, even for the 12" ladies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip, Kamelia. This is interesting to know about invisible zippers. I do not have the special zipper foot necessary to put one in which is why I didn't include it.

      Delete
    2. That's true, you will need that foot. But I think it's worth having. Invisible zippers look very nice on dolls.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for great tutorial.
    Wonderful outfits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Dlubaniny. That means a lot to me.

      Delete
  7. The angled-zipper jacket is absolutely brilliant and amazing!

    As soon as I started with the Hobby, the first thing I discovered is how difficult is finding doll-sized zippers. I couldn't find ANY physical shop that had them, at most two of them offered to order them for me... and the prices (up to 4 Euro for one!) took me away.

    Online, I found a german-based shop that offers them, for "only" 2 Euro-piece, but my skills are too basic still and I'm passing on zippers for the immediate future, waiting to develop the proper skills at tailoring to indulge in such a luxury as miniature zippers.

    But yes, the end results are worth the expense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I, like you, went on a search for doll zippers. You would think places like New York City and Paris...both fashion capitals...would have them. But no. I could only find the jeans zippers. Unless you are making a front zip jacket, there are enough other (and cheaper) options to use for closures....velcro being a favorite. If you opt for velcro, try to find the super thin variety. It's usually found at places selling paper crafts!

      Delete
  8. Your biker jacket is gorgeous and a style I have been wanting to try for ages, but haven't yet. I thought I would link you a resource I have found for open zippers (man were they a bugger to find!) the teeth are plastic, but the variety of colour is nice. The price, however, works out to just over $1 US and only took 2-3 weeks to ship to Canada.

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Doll-accessories-0-zipper-open-end-zippers-multicolor-7cm-10cm/32947337567.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4d9y5RY4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there. Thank you for the compliment. I normally don't allow comments of a commercial nature to be posted. But I am making an exception here because I do know your company and there are always collectors looking for notions and supplies to make 1:6 and 1:4 doll fashions.

      Delete
  9. I love your work! That angled jacket is divine! I thought I'd share my zipper source with you all, because, man, were they ever a difficult item to find. These are plastic teeth, but in a variety of colours and I can get them shipped to me in a few weeks for just over a US$ a piece.

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Doll-accessories-0-zipper-open-end-zippers-multicolor-7cm-10cm/32947337567.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dockPPZ

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you. Your comment will be published shortly. Please note: SPAM IS NOT TOLERATED. It will be deleted immediately!!