Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Shoe Biz: Final Thoughts



Mission Accomplished! I can now make my own doll shoes! For those of you who think this came easy for me...well let me show you one my very early attempts at shoe making. (All the rest were tossed in the garbage years ago!)
Since mid-July, I have made 64 pairs of shoes and boots! And it was well worth it. If for no other reason, let me show you this.
On the upper left hand corner: A pair of FR Shoes selling on EBay for $24.99 plus 4.49 shipping. On the right....the ones I made for pennies!!! Over time, I have spent more than $650 on shoes! So I am really looking forward to saving money! Better yet, I have finally broken my addiction to shopping for doll shoes and, consequently, have removed both the Barbie and the Fashion Royal shoe search from my Ebay feed!

As far as that "expensive" jar of epoxy clay (roughly $22)... After 64 pairs of footwear I still have this much clay left! By my estimates I figure, there must be at least a couple hundred more pairs of sole making material left in the jars!


If you have different size dolls or dolls with feet of different sizes or shapes within the same doll family, like I do, there is no excuse for any of them to go barefoot.
In my collection, I have 16" Tonners, 13" IT Color Infusion dolls, Fashion Royalty with FR1, FR2 and FR13 feet as well as Barbie Model Muse, playline Barbies and one JamieShow Demi-Couture doll. While some can share shoes, others cannot. Now, everyone can have a basic shoe or boot.



Okay, so you might still continue to buy Barbie shoes. But there are still instances when you might want to make perhaps boots, which are hard to come by or a special pair of shoes to match a very special outfit!
For anyone who has Integrity Toys' Color Infusion dolls, you are quite familiar with the challenge of finding footwear for her. They are a half inch taller than the Fashion Royalty line with large hands and big, wide feet. It's nice to know I can now include these dolls in my posts now that I can make shoes for them! But before I close, let me offer a few final tips for creating successful 1/6 scale footwear.

Don't Get Unglued!
I can't emphasize enough...choosing the right glue for this project is so very important. I use rubber cement for gluing a lining onto the insole, for gluing the interfacing around the toe area of the upper and for adhering the upper's turned down edges to the underside of the insole. This glue allows you to re-position the edges as you stretch the upper over the doll's foot without having to commit. But this is the only point you can use rubber cement. Anywhere else...your shoe will fall apart. Use your extra strong glue (but never "crazy glue") for adhering the middle sole to your completed upper. Or...if you are still working with polymer clay, use it to adhere the completed upper to the outer sole. On the other hand...the outer sole created with epoxy clay has glue built in. So it will automatically adhere to the completed upper as it dries.

Ralph Rucci inspired over-the-knee boots with stiletto heels and back lacing

Be inspired
Chanel inspired vinyl boots.

First, teach yourself to make one or two basic styles really well. Those will become your "go-to" shoes when you need something fast. Then once your confidence and skills have grown, go on...look at photos of shoes you'd like to make. But have reasonable expectations. There's not that much real estate on a doll's foot!  If you see human shoes you like, capture the essence but keep it simple! Don't get bogged down with the details. Keep embellishments to a minimum. Look at your shoe and ask yourself....would I wear all that junk on my feet!?!

Valentino Haute Couture inspired chiffon wrapped shoes
Dior Haute Couture shoes inspired vinyl stillettos with leather toe and back quarters
As you clean up after making a pair of shoes, be mindful of every tiny scrap. Is it a discard or is it an interfacing?! Sure the boots can go into regular envelopes, but if you have shoe patterns, put each pattern in it's own separate plastic or cellophane bags so the pieces don't get jumbled up!

Inasmuch as my mission was to create simple high heeled shoes to compliment my dolls' wardrobes, I did not include wedgies, chunky heels or square toe pumps. I was not more creative with the uppers because my aim was to make easy-to-make simple shoes. So is this the end? Maybe not. From time to time, should I see something truly interesting, I'll explore the possibilities and propose a new session of Shoe Biz.

Oh my goodness...so much has happened while we've been busy these past two months. Fashion Month is currently in session! We'll take a minute to catch our breath, reorganize and return with our first fashion report!

Follow us on Twitter: @FashDollStylist
Like us on Facebook: @FashDollStylist
We're also on Pinterest: @FashDollStylist
And of course, we are on Instagram: @fashiondollstylist

All photos and text property of Fashion Doll Stylist. 2019. Please do not reproduce without prior permission and please always credit us.

14 comments:

  1. You are a mad shoe genius! Now you have to make some Rococo shoes please! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha!!! As I try to get back to the business of looking and making fashion....I feel withdrawal pains from making more shoes. Ideas keep popping into my head (I have a little bit of lizard pelt I've had for years that would make a fabulous pair of boots)! I guess that's why I said.... this party is probably not over!

      Delete
  2. Ralph Rucci boots! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah!! When I saw that photo, I knew my dolls had to have them!!!!!

      Delete
  3. Making tiny detailed doll shoes drive me crazy! However, the boots you've made are really cute. I absolutely love them. They look totally doable for me and I think I'll be able to manage making a few by following you detailed instructions of course! Thanks for sharing. Have a BLESSED day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, welcome to my blog. Making shoes was always so very painful for me. And then the "shoes" would break or fall apart. And they were ugly. So....I feel your pain. It took me a bit to get used to working on such a tiny scale. That why I invested in a magnifying visor. But after awhile things got better and when my shoes actually starting looking like the real thing, my confidence grew and I really started pushing myself and putting lots more effort into it. I am so happy you feel this series is of help. I tried to write it in such a way to explain things in the simplest way possible. And to explain all of the things I needed to understand in my quest for learning how to make these teeny tiny works of art! You have a blessed day as well and come back whenever you'd like.

      Delete
  4. Actually, wedges sound like a pretty great idea for a project. Lately I feel like I've been seing wedge heeled espadrilles everywhere! I also wonder if the soles could be made with something besides apoxie clay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can use polymer clay for wedges, though I have have the soles break at the thinner points under the foot! So the lesson I learned is to create a more solid mass under the foot. I've already done an espadrille tutorial (June 28, 2016.) Search this blog for "Foot Loose." I also chose not to do wedge heels because for all of these years, it was the only kind of shoe I could half way make. And even then, the results were clunky and, dare I say...ugly. For the moment, I don't see much in the way of fashion forward wedge heels and the few things I do see doesn't inspire me. But fashion is all about change. So who knows what the future may bring!

      Delete
  5. The whole series of tutorials was the masterpiece - thank you so much for sharing them! I found so many useful tips there. :)
    And yes, that is a great solution to make your own boots. Especially for you, because your outfits are so amazing and you need a proper finishing touch for them. Now you can make whatever you need! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial. I learned a lot. Thank you. Jest regards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jestem pod ogromnym wrażeniem! Te buty są fantastyczne! Jak można w ogóle wykonać tak małe obuwie?!
    Ciekawe sposoby i świetny efekt!
    Pozdrowienia gorące ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Olla wrote: IM very impressed! These shoes are fantastic! How can you make such small footwear at all ?!
      Interesting ways and great effect!
      Hot greetings ♥

      Olla, when I didn't have the right materials, it just didn't work. But now that I finally found the right clay, it is not difficult at all. It's not perfect, but I am getting there!!! I have lots of ideas. I just need to find the time to make what is in my mind!

      Delete
  8. It was a fun ride! I like how you included a failed pair to show how much you progressed. I started reading for the sole tutorial and ended up with several design ideas. Do you have a hashtag for sharing creations made using your tutorials? In case I actually end up making shoes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha!!! Glad you enjoyed this series! I worked really hard on those shoes. At last count I've made about 108 pairs of footwear, not including the sneakers I made for the guys! I didn't want anyone to think I was an expert. I wanted to encourage others to make their own dolly footwear, so I thought if I showed where I started with this project, others might be encourages to try it as well. I see you're on Instagram, so you why not post your creations there #fashiondollstylist

      Delete

We love hearing from you. Your comment will be published shortly. Please note: SPAM IS NOT TOLERATED. It will be deleted immediately!!