Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Dolls Eye View: New York Fall/Winter 2020

Given everything happening in the world right now, it is difficult to talk about something as frivolous as clothes. But even though it seems a bit inappropriate to think about mademoiselle's next fashion fix, all of us in this Lilliputian world of dressed-up divas know that the best distraction is doll play. So for just a few moments, me and my girls would like to transport you to fantasy land where everything is set back to normal, and we are allowed to go outside in style!

Fashion is a reflection of the world around us and as such, the things we see on the catwalks continues along its chaotic path. There are lots of "sensible" everyday frocks for us "normal" people,  as well as outrageous costumes for pop star red carpet. However, there are glimmers of hope. Much of the "grab bag" bloopers on the catwalk aren't selling well so a trend is emerging that favors a return to the good old days of wearable chic. In New York, my girls braved the subways (with hand sanitizer and masks in hand) to see what they could find for Autumn/Winter 2020. Let's start with the cloakroom.

Coat Check
Living large, overcoats are cut with lots of ample volume. Look for coats with rounder shoulders, in animal prints or florals as well as traditional windowpane plaids and fleece.
.
Liu saw so many possibilities with this coat by Self Portrait. For her version, I used a fluffy white fleece, which on her, resembles a sheared lamb. I used a pattern for the double breasted coat, but felt the little black buttons didn't do much for the overall look. Instead, I opted for a 1950's touch. Instead of three sets of black button doubles, I used one large "statement" button. For the cuffs I added a bit of white faux fur. And though I love winter white, it's not the only color when it comes to fur...

Carnival Animals
These looks are as fun and furry as they are colorful! My ladies love the total look where the sweater, leather pants and furry coat all match. But they also love the idea of using different colors of furry accents in the same color.

Creature Comfort
Some designers believe it's going to be a long, cold winter ahead. Hemlines dip to the ankles. The body is totally draped in soft wools and moletant jerseys. From the karate suit to the super-sized jersey ensemble, these are long, easy looks to keep dolly warm!

Madison Avenue
Trends take on a serious air with the return of the tailored suit. The end result doesn't have to stay regulated within the sharp classic lane. We were  intrigued by designer, La Quan Smith's flirt with the 1980's super inflated shoulders.We also liked how those two suits were accessorized with long leather gloves!
For Denise, we decided to "clean up" the shoulders a little bit. In the original outfit, those super inflated shoulders falling off the shoulders reminded me too much of the last days of that trend when things went from chic to ugly. So I began with a jacket pattern with set in broad, square shoulders, and used a coating fabric which resulted in a more structured silhouette. I used a stretch fabric for her pencil skirt in a matching tone. This is a winter collection and I don't feel the need for a deep slit in the front. The sleekness of her form fitting skirt is sexy as is!
The collar can be raised up for a dramatic effect!


The easiest way to get this look is by using a pattern with a dolman or batwing sleeve. Click HERE for my pattern. Here, for Yvette's version, I started out with a dolman sleeve top that I belted with a very wide belt.

On the left, Yvette has her arms outstretched. This is a really easy pattern. To get the final look on the right, simply belt the waist, push up the sleeves and add on the gloves. Personally, I prefer a longer, just-under the knee, pencil skirt. To my eye it looks newer, more chic.

Village People

Take a walk on the wild side. This is a wink at New York's East Village back in the 80s: sex, drugs and rock & roll. This was the stuff good party wear was made of particularly  back in the days of New York's Studio 54 or Paris' Le Palace. I still like the intricacy of the bondage wrap, the leather, the slashes of flesh, the juxtaposition of shiny leather and matte jersey.
Of course, when I took this look to the doll....well... This garment is comprised of four pieces--a long-sleeved shrug cut from rayon 2-way stretch jersey, a leather wrap around bra with matching high rise panties and a hipster miniskirt. Samantha really rocks this look (which looks much better in photos than in person). But for my (ancient) eyes, when I finished it...  I thought....she looks a tad bit slutty. Ha ha ha.....my Le Palace nights are well behind me!!!
So to resolve the issue between the younger me and the older me...... I added a belt. But if Sam is anything like her human, and decides to steal away for some hot club action.... she will leave the house with the belt on.....and then after she gets to the party.....the belt will come off!!!

Daywear into partywear--there is this ninja warrior look: a black tee worn with wide, straight legged trousers which double belted. Actually it is one very long belt wrapped around the hips twice and looped. The top is a simple basic bodice (in rayon jersey) where the area over the shoulders have been split  to give the illusion of a layered tee.. 


Christmas Bon Bons
The real story here is the "total look" in terms of color. I'm really not so sure about this choice of colors, however. I do like the light, frothy pastels, the monochromatic themes, the matching legwear, the ease of such simple silhouettes. But, other than the Jason Wu cocktail dress, the clothes are really nothing special.

For Joan, I made a snowy white dress/coat ensemble with matching stocking boots. I didn't notice it so much on the human, but for the the doll's version, a basic sleeveless shift dress and a simple coat-- I think it is...a bit boring. I added a furry hat and matching purse and though it's quite nice....and quite elegant.. at the end of the day, it had me wishing the designers had made use of a rich autumn palette. 
What I did here was to assemble a few of dolly's existing wardrobe pieces of the same tone. And see...in flaming autumn red, the look really lives up to the beauty of an otherwise, colorful season.

Abstract Thoughts
Geometrics, painter's splashes of color, ripped organza cascading down from the shoulders, this is somewhat of an nontraditional approach to chic eveningwear.

Uptown Girl
These are very pretty, understated looks. The black and white delivers a clean, crisp finish to an otherwise curvy, feminine look in each case. We particularly like the curvy jacket worn over velvet trousers, the organdy cabbage rose suspended over the shoulder of a silky satin slip dress, and the picture frame collar that crowns the full, bishop sleeve of a simple black dress.

Final Curtain Call
This is the big city edition of eveningwear. There are no costumes, no gimmicks, just real-time, understated glamour worn effortlessly. It's the kind of sophistication that stand out in a crowd.
Noor immediately opted for the sultry look of a open-work corset worn over a velvet wrap skirt. For accessories we opted for a pair of lace stocking boots because they mimic the airiness of the corset. Over her shoulders.....netting. Tip Vintage shops often have this kind of netting once used by ladies to cover their heads in Catholic churches. They make wonderful shawls!!
Katherina is a drama queen...She loved this velvet sheath dress with its ruffled tulle bib tacked onto the front. Instead of cutting the layers into a uniform length, we felt it was more interesting to leave the layers uneven.

Hang on to those face masks. This train ride is not over. Next up.. a quick stop in London!

Follow us on Twitter: @FashDollStylist
Like us on Facebook: @FashDollStylist
We're also on Pinterest: @FashDollStylist
And of course, we are on Instagram: @fashiondollstylist

25 comments:

  1. Honestly, I think your dolls---look far better than the originals. I think it is because you have to simplify a bit...and that is really my personal style....love the neutrals and the coats. I'll need a new coat for Fall, and slouchy and nummy fabric sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sandi. When a design house decided to diversify its lines, they will launch a sub-line which is a simpler (cheaper) version of their main line. The exercise of creating designer fashion based on designer wear is a good project to help you understand what thought process goes into creating a sub-collection! And I agree...sometimes the simplified version is so much better than the high market version! I also love this coat. I wanted to make the zebra striped coat but couldn't find that print anywhere nearby.

      Delete
  2. All the costumes are beautiful, but I Love this Denise outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dlubaniny. I had made a similar coat awhile back with that same collar, so it was interesting to see the same silhouette translated into a jacket worn over a skin tight pencil skirt. I am very happy with the way it turned out.

      Delete
  3. I agree about the distraction from all that's been going on, that's what I've been doing & once again.more FR dolls seem to be showing up at my doorstep lol. Anyway another fabulous post & fashions! Some actually do look better on the dolls than the models! My faves have to be Denise & Yvette, I love jackets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! I'm drowning out my fears with dolls!!! There would be more FR dolls on my doorstep but i keep getting outbid on Ebay (I swear, my dolls have something to do with this!!! Jealous little divas!). Thank you. I enlarged my computer screen to take a good look at the models' faces. First, these are very "ordinary" looking people to my eye. And that's okay, but why aren't they putting makeup on these girls to make them special!

      Delete
    2. Oh I've gotten outbid the last few times lol that's why I got these as "buy it now"!

      Delete
  4. Well, I'm not happy with these outfits at all. The one I really like is black and white floral coat by Oscar de la Renta.
    Everything else - you have the impression that it has all been already...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kamelia...I know you are right. I look at every look from almost every show and this was the best of the bunch! Most of it has been done before. Designers don't seem to experiment with color or fabric anymore. I started to do the coat you like, because I like the pop of red used for the accents, but the fabric I had was too thin for a coat.

      Delete
    2. Fortunately your versions are much better than original outfits so it's always something beutiful to watch here on your blog. :)
      I hope you will find right fabric for that coat!

      Delete
    3. Oh my dear, I really do appreciate your initial feedback as I do your lovely comments. But, as I said, you are right to say that it all seems to have been done before. There is another aesthetic which my eye does not understand. It is this idea that gender doesn't matter which comes across as a "grab bag" of conflicting silhouettes, fabrics and what not. And, it looks just as chaotic on the doll. So even though some of the fashions I presented could be considered boring or "been there, done that" before.... I suppose for me, it is like taking a break from the madness of the catwalk and taking refuge in basic looks that have survived the test of time. Again, I have so much respect for your thoughts, you work and your impressions.

      Delete
    4. Good point. I haven't considered it this way. :)

      Delete
  5. Trzeba mieć nie lada talent, aby powielić te same stylizacje w mniejszej skali! Tobie udaje się to zawsze! Naprawdę nie wiem, jak Ty to robisz, ale wszystkie ubrania na Twoich lalkach wyglądają olśniewająco! A przecież korzystasz z tylu różnych materiałów, eko-skóry, tiulu, koronek i puszystych piór! To jest znakomite!
    Pozdrawiam serdecznie i życzę zdrowia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olla wrote: You need to be quite talented to duplicate the same styles on a smaller scale! You always manage it! I really don't know how you do it, but all the clothes on your dolls look stunning! And yet you use so many different materials, eco-leather, tulle, lace and fluffy feathers! This is great!
      Best wishes and good health!

      Thank you so much Olla. I have gotten better at making the tiny duplicates over the years. The secret is finding a more simple way of achieving the same look. Fabric is another challenge because they don't always behave the way they would on a human. So this hobby challenges me to find solutions. Sometimes I do not succeed. (But you don't see that because they end up in the trash!) But when I can find a way to get the look, it is most satisfying. And as time has gone by, I challenge myself by choosing more complicated looks--even if the results remain simple! And when I can't find a viable solution, I try to save the best elements of the original look but create something new. These exercises are much fun...and I've learned so much. Big hugs Olla. As most of us will be confined to our homes because of Coronovirus, now is a good time to pick up needle and thread and treat our dollies new clothes!! Stay safe and virus free!

      Delete
  6. I loved the clothes and how elegant the dolls were in them. They are all very chic and tasteful. I just got to know your blog now and I really liked it, I'm already following it. I hope to follow more posts soon!
    greetings
    https://ilovetoysblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leticia and welcome to my blog. I've been here since February 2013. The focus here is both tutorials on how to clothes and accessories for the 1/6 doll (though they can be applied to any fashion doll), but most importantly..ideas to keep your dolls in the height of fashion. We look at catwalk shows from 4 fashion capitals, celebrity fashion from major red carpet events and then there are the tutorials for most of the basic patterns you can transform into most of what dolly will need. Glad you found me. Have a great time here. Come back as often as you like!

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for your lovely comments, Linda. Well the first thing is about added accessories. I don't know why today's stylists don't seem to think of the "big picture" when it comes to completing a look. All by itself, the Marc Jacobs white ensemble is rather boring. If you're not going to add lots of fun accessories, then you should at least employ a very interesting fabric or print. One thing I find fascinating is how a fabric destined for human clothes, can take on a totally different dimension when shrunk down to 1/6 scale. This is really good because we don't have unlimited access to fabric and it's always nice to find substitutions. Oh and yes....my girls are just a little bit greedy. They leave me alone when I'm bidding for a boy.... but when they find out it's new girl....well that's another story. LOL!!!! (Don't we have fun!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent job as usual! I really like the MK, MJ and the La Quan Smith fashions! Will there continue to be fashion shows or have we seen the last of shows for a while?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I LOVE the fashions of LaQuan Smith. I'm just discovering him. First of all, Milan closed down its fashion week on the last day of their shows. The country has been shut down ever since. This means nothing is happening. The collections are not in production. Nothing is being sold. Even if designers are working from home, the textile people are not. Worse...it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Whenever we get out of the current situation, surely the world, especially the fashion industry, may be a very different place. Assuming at some point, things eventually "goes back to normal," it will take time to get everything back in place. So my guess is that for Europe, especially Italy, we won't be seeing fashion week for awhile. Perhaps another form of a fashion week will emerge. For my blog--at this moment, I am imagining a sort of "best of" where I feature the best of fashion from the past.

      Delete
  9. I wanted to ask if you know of any places online where I could chat with doll lovers? Including yourself. I don't have any social media (and I definitely do not like Facebook) I may have to make some kind of social media account because all that's going on, the stress I would like to chat with other doll lovers! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A year ago, I would have recommended Doll Observers (where I started out), but sadly, they took their site down and went to FB. I've seen quite a number of doll group pages on FB (though I've not joined). Tonner dolls had a #dollchat on Twitter which me and 3 others took over after they closed down their business. Our live chat is on Tuesdays at roughly 9:30-10pm Eastern Time. It lasts until we fall asleep. One person, is not on our time zone. She's in Spain but she chimes in later. We talk about dolls, share photos but sometimes we get off topic and talk about how life is treating us. Unfortunately the only other doll community site not on FB is Integrity Toys WClub which has a membership fee of $50 US (which includes a $25 credit towards a future doll purchase). Unfortunately they only open their membership one month a year and this year is now closed. But if you are interested in our little DollChat on Twitter, any Tuesday, look for me @fashiondollstylist around 10pm, join in on the conversation at any point. Type what you want followed by the hashtag #dollchat.

      Delete
    2. Hey sorry I had deleted my twitter, I'm just not comfortable with social media, yet I enjoy chatting with you all. I deactivated and came back to chat then deactivated again lol. It's not permanent until 30 days. I was on this part Tuesday but I guess everyone was busy. Hope you are doing well & staying sage!

      Delete
    3. Pardon my typos in message lol. You get what I was saying .:)

      Delete
    4. Hi there. First of all, I didn't realize until the next morning that I had forgotten to add your name to the list and I tried to send you a message. It turns out we didn't meet up Robin wasn't feeling well and there were some bad thunderstorms near myself as well as Cari and one other person I had invited to join. After an hour, if nobody signs in, I generally give up and go to sleep. In any case, we've really enjoy interacting with you. I'm not really sure why you're not comfortable on social media. Inasmuch as we are talking dolls, we aren't targets for trolls.So in all my years I've never had any bad people show up nor any problems. And by using a doll name you remain anonynous so there's no danger there. But look, we are there on Tuesdays. And you are always invited to join in!

      Delete
    5. Missed you at dollchat. Hope you are well.

      Delete

We love hearing from you. Your comment will be published shortly. Please note: SPAM IS NOT TOLERATED. It will be deleted immediately!!