Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Let Them Eat Cake



Me and the girls were most intrigued by Moschino's Marie Antoinette collection theme. Closely fitted bodices with super wide bell skirts all decorated like fancy wedding cakes had all of the allure of a precious doll magically emerging from a music box. Worn with petti-pants and thigh high silk boots, it was sugary sweet, it was super pretty, it was from another era! At first, it seemed to be disconnected from modern life. Who would wear this silhouette in the 21st century?" And then the pandemic hit, bringing with it "social distancing!" In a flash..... it all made sense!
I should point out, however, the original dress has a flattened, almost 2-dimensional skirt--something I did not like. I decided to change the shape into a rounder, more balanced bell shape. Again, I begin with a disclaimer. I am not skilled in historical costume construction. I approached this like a craft project, much in the same way I did when I made some of my dolly hats. On the other hand, what I have learned about couture is that  this sort of silhouette is built over an underlying structure, be it hoops, bustles or petticoats.  Getting to a successful finish was not without its problems. Though my pattern is super simple, this dress gave me a lot of grief. Each fabric, each layer behaved differently than anticipated--particularly at the end while attempting to marry the dress with its foundation. The layers fought each other and would not sit evenly. I first concluded this dress was not suitable for reproduction. But still, I pushed on to find a simple solution. After finally completing the white dress, and then the blue denim.... I started falling in love the look. The 17-year old in me even imagined the fun it would be to organize a Mini-Antoinette debutante ball where everybody arrives in one of these little cake-top wonders!

Pattern (and under foundation)
1. For this stage of the project, you will need a bowl, tissue paper (papier chiffon), Mod Podge or white craft glue, water and a brush. First and foremost, you need a shape on which you will fashion the skirt. Don't look at the outside of the bowl but rather, look at the smooth interiors of its interior. Consider width and shape. If you line the interior of the bowl with plastic wrap, it will facilitate removal of the tissue paper shape later.
2. Use at least 2 layers of tissue paper which you will then press into the sides of the bowl's interior. Trim the excess.
3. Spray with water to moisten.
4. Press the tissue paper into the sides of the bowl, pressing out any bubbles that form.
5.Take the Mod Podge or craft glue and mix with a little water to make it more fluid. Then brush onto the tissue paper, covering the entire surface.
6. Let dry. Carefully lift the form out of the bowl.
7. Measure the waistline of the doll, mark, then cut away from the center of the tissue form.
8. Measure the outer perimeter of the bowl. Divide that number  by 5. Then measure that number off around the outside of the form. Draw a line from each point on the perimeter to what would be the center of the waist. 
9. Cut along each line and number each section. 
10. Place each section side by side, lining them up along the lower edge. Create one more section and add to this

11. Place this on paper and trace.The end result is a single piece with darts at the waist.
12. Add seam allowance at the top and sides.
This pattern, which has 6 sections is based on the original pattern (cut into 5). One extra section was added in for additional fullness and ease. This can be adjusted at the back. I used this pattern for all but the red dress.

This is the pattern made with the exact measurements of my bowl. It makes for a slightly narrower dress like the one in red brocade.




My Basic Mini-Antoinette Dress
You can use any bodice you want. Strapless or full bodice. With or without sleeves. For my first project, I decided to keep it simple. I used my super simple, basic, one-piece camisole.
1-2.This dress has two pattern pieces. The strapless top and the one-piece bell skirt. I cut out in fabric. (You can line the dress using the same pattern. Or just line the bodice.)
3. Attached the bodice to the skirt along with waistline.
4. Right side up, this is what you have. By itself the dress will not retain its shape unless it is propped up with a foundation, or at least a layer of tulle.
5. You can gather tulle into a sort of tutu which is then tacked onto the waistband of the dress.  For this dress, I chose to use wired ribbon.
6. I gathered it slightly and then tacked it into the underside waistband of the dress. Still the edges along the hem were not keeping its shape.
7. I took some of the same wired ribbon and cut away a 1/4" (5mm) strip just above the wired edge. 
8. You can hem your dress first or, in this case where I have used polyester Chinese brocade, I have melted the edges with a candle to keep them from fraying. Lay the hem of the dress on top of the ribbon, lining it up just along the wire edging. Hand sew in place.
9. I wanted a smooth looking, almost flat look to the bodice. So, I cut this motif from the fabric and melted the edges. The motif is then carefully tacked onto the bodice (after the dress has been assembled).
10. These little dresses have such structure, they don't even need the doll. They stand up by themselves!

Oh and by the way, I almost forgot to mention.... Dolly will need "petti-pants." Those are little shorts to be worn under the dress. If you've ever seen the movie,  "The King and I," you'll know why! Here's Muriel showing off her gold satin shorts that match the underside of her dress! The back of this dress was hand sewn closed from the hips of the doll to the hem. The top of the bodice and point at the waist are held shut with hook and eye.
We made her a pair of glove and, of course...matching over the knee boots cut from Chinese brocade!


This brings me back to the Moschino dress. I used the same techniques as above except my pattern has one extra panel added on. This allows for more volume and more ease around the waist.
But let's go back to the original Moschino dress that had so many of you intrigued. I used a waffled fabric. However..... the waffled surface (right) is actually the wrong side of some upholstery fabric. The normal side is the photo on the left! When you are shopping for fabric, always look at the wrong side. Sometimes it's more interesting!
I made this exactly as explain in the previous dress. This time I stitched gathered tulle into the waistband. I also used the gold edge of (Christmas) wire ribbon onto the hem as a way to maintain the shape of the circular skirt. I tacked on a gold embroidered applique (found in a notions department of a fabric store).

If you are not careful, you can get totally carried away and lose all sense of current day modernity! Eighteenth century fashion was really about cake top decoration with big scoops of fabrics, trims, ribbons and poufs piled on.  
The Moschino collection featured denim dresses which I found most interesting. But I didn't have access to any gold trim so instead, I went the other way and pared things down to the basic silhouette. The top of this dress, as you can see, is comprised of a full basic bodice with sleeves edged with white lace. Otherwise, it is constructed in the same manner as the first two dresses with the exception of the underskirt. I did not add gathered tulle. Instead, I made another tissue paper bowl, covered it with fabric, decorated it with lace and placed the denim dress atop. 

1. Go back to the top of this tutorial and create the skirt by using two layers of tissue paper, water and Hodge Podge (or white craft glue). When dry, make one slit to the center of this structure and cut out a circle the size of the doll's waist. Reinforce the structure with fabric tape. Using the pattern you have already created from the bowl, you can cut a skirt from fabric to place over this structure. Tack the fabric layer to the paper shape. Add ruffles or decorative trim around the hemline. 
2. Create a waistband from a strip of bias tape and attach to the waist. You can plan for an overlap then fasten the waist with a snap or tie. I tend to leave the skirt open at the back. The two sides will overlap each other. 

Complete the dress in the fabric of you choice. Again, you make the bodice and the skirt separately, then put them together along the waist line. I hand sew the back seam together from the hem up to the widest part of the hips. Close the back of the dress with a hook and eye at the back neck and at the waist. Be sure to make a pair of little shorts for the doll to wear under the dress. Add embellishments of your choice. My version was pretty, but somehow in relation to the super ornate dresses, I felt the doll came off looking more like one of Mini-Marie's hand maidens..... So I decided Akure needed more dollops of whipped cream and sprinkles. 

3. I found a little bit of silk the same color as the washed denim. I left the edges frayed to give it texture. Wrap around your finger into a soft pouf then tack it on top of each hip.
4. Somewhat inspired by Wedgewood porcelain, I added a bit of white lace over each pouf. I cut lace medallions from an old shirt and placed them about the dress in a decorative fashion. Just beware... these types of decorative garments invite you to put excessive amounts of stuff on top. From time to time, I had to stop myself from turning things into a 3-ring circus!


The most interesting part of this series is, of course, the skirt. So why not think of the garment as a skirt and top! That provides endless possibilities!

I already had the bodysuit and boots made from the jeweled organdy. So I decided Waris needed a black swan skirt cut from the same fabric.
Here's Waris in her bodysuit. To complete the look, we made a (no sew) tulle tutu and the same skirt we've been making all long. The difference is, it has been fashioned into an apron of sorts with a waistband that ties in the back over a black tulle tutu skirt.

And here she is....our black ballerina. The skirt is tied over the bodysuit and the bejeweled skirt is worn on the top layer. This can be done using a variety of different fabrics. Look below at what we did for Christie! 


I made one last look for Christie cut from a heavy faille fabric. I knew the fabric would fray and wanted it to make a thoroughly modern version of this dress.The top is a fitted corset bordered with ruffled frayed chiffon. The skirt fits over a full cream white tulle skirt. For this skirt I decided not to add the wire trim and simply let the skirt hang the way it wanted over a cloud of gathered tulle.

Like us on Facebook: @FashDollStylist
We're also on Pinterest: @FashDollStylist
And of course, we are on Instagram: @fashiondollstylist

All photos and text property of Fashion Doll Stylist. 2020. Please do not reproduce without prior permission and please always credit us.

13 comments:

  1. You sure did have fun doing these, what a great collection, and some pretty creative directions. I will have to start rethinking modge podge in terms of costumes, and how about hats??? Very cool, love when something gets my creative juices going! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandi. Oh yes, once I got started, I had a flood of ideas, one more fun than the other. And now that this project is finished, every now and then, more ideas still pop into my head. (Was thinking how much fun it would be to do an African version of this look, using raffia instead of tulle under the dress!) At first I faithfully stuck to the traditional methods of construction, but for some things, I've discovered it is easier to treat a look as a craft project! It opens up endless possibilities. Anyway, have fun with your projects!

      Delete
  2. How amazing is this! I love your creativity and shared step-by-step tutorials.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Debbie. This is doll play on steroids! LOL! The readers have watched me go from wrapping my dolls with a handkerchief and calling it a "look" to my current passion of taking on a challenge. Whenever I can find a simple solution, I don't mind sharing with others who share in the same hobby! Thank you for your visit, as always.

      Delete
  3. Wow those are so fun! I LOVE Antoinette inspired fashions !!!! Now lets see you tackle the wig? Hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha.... After I got started, this was a ton of fun. I did what I could with the hair, but then realized, it was just better to leave the hair as is so that the dresses would be seen as fashion and not costumes. That said.... if I were a teenager, I'd try to make any one of these dresses for myself and maybe add a hairpiece to my coif!!!

      Delete
  4. What an intresting project! Love it! Your dresses are absolutely amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kamelia for your most appreciated comments. (I notice that we are both inspired by costumes at this time! Good source of inspiration!)

      Delete
  5. Witam :-)
    Spod Twojej igły powstają takie kreacje, że zapiera to dech w piersiach!
    U Ciebie wszystko jest jednakowo ważne : tkanina (długo i dokładnie wybierana), umiejętnie upięta i ozdobiona wspaniałymi dekoracyjnymi aplikacjami! Coś wspaniałego!
    Każda z kreacji jest fantastyczna! Każda z nich inna i jakże piękna!
    Pozdrawiam Cię serdecznie i dziękuję za kolejne rady w szyciu strojów dla lalek :)))
    Bądź zdrowa ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olla wrote: Hello :-)
      Creations are created from under your needle that take your breath away!
      Everything is equally important to you: the fabric (chosen long and carefully), skillfully pinned and decorated with wonderful decorative applications! Something fabulous!
      Each of the creations is fantastic! Each of them is different and how beautiful!
      I cordially greet you and thank you for the next advice in sewing doll costumes :)))
      Be healthy ♥

      Olla--Thank you so much for such a love comment. As someone who is as skilled as you, someone with a rich imagination of her own as seen through her dolls....this is a real compliment. I am so happy you enjoyed this project. Stay safe. Big hugs.

      Delete
  6. Great tutorial. The dresses are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dlubaniny. I am so happy you enjoyed this project. Thanks for stopping by. Big hugs.

      Delete
  7. Hi Linda. I learned the trick about turning the fabric over to the wrong side through a designer who once worked for Alexander McQueen and came to do a project with my students. She also encouraged students to look for unusual fabrics like upholstery or curtain materials... for the sake of creativity. (They aren't really suitable for wearing, but they make a great statement on the catwalk!) Thank you so much for your lovely words and your visit.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you. Your comment will be published shortly. Please note: SPAM IS NOT TOLERATED. It will be deleted immediately!!