Monday, March 12, 2018

Oscar Buzz '18

Understandably, the Oscars red carpet remains a favorite event among my girls. The glitter the glamour and the prospect of parading around in some of the most gorgeous gowns...what more could a girl (and guy) want?!! Our takeaway from looking at the red carpet this time around: there is a more relaxed approached to eveningwear. A return to elegance is what we've noticed.

We saw this dress by Giambattista Valli--worn by Zendeya--during the Spring/Summer '18 edition of Paris Couture week. We felt the original dress was absolutely sumptuous. The only thing is that there is so much fabric, it can overcome a doll's body rather quickly. For that reason, I decided to show a flash of leg for the 1/6 replica. This version. worn by China. was made as a two piece dress. The top is simply a slightly oversized smocked top with one sleeve, worn over a gathered skirt. Each piece is gathered into a ribbon which helps keep the dress slim around the waist.

It is rare to see a stand-out outfit amongst the men in attendance. So when I saw Olympic figure skater, Adam Rippon in this very unusual tuxedo, it caught my eye. Yes, it was quite controversial--some even calling it S&M, bondage.... And as I was busy making the harness, it even had a sinister military air to it. But at the end of the day, it was an intriguing outfit that I had a fun time putting together. And Sean, pictured here, was pretty happy to get a red carpet outfit!

Here's another example of a look that conjured many emotions. When Taraji P. Henderson walked onto the red carpet, this instantly caught my attention. Very daring, it really doesn't reveal  as much flesh as one would think. Vera Wang used a lot of flesh tone fabric underneath the sheer black to give the impression of nudity. Again, I did this dress in two parts. The skirt is a no-brainer, but the top gave me a bit of a challenge because of the differences in body shapes. Taraji is nice and curvy while Janice is skinny with a tiny bustline! After struggling with the bodice, I finally settled on cutting the top in a single piece (suspended from a wire necklace and sewn into a ribbon waistband) and slitting it up the center!

It's all about illusion! When replicating a look, what is important is to find a 1/6 solution that resembles the finished full figure dress. Gal Godet's dress by Maison Givenchy, is an art deco maze of sequins and beads. The temptation is to replicate it using the same fabric. However, for the Veronica's dress, I used a dark silver stretch lame. Over the top I used a little iron on rhinestones, but for the "sequinned fringe" I slashed strips of the same lame into fringe and stitched four rows onto the basic slip dress.

There were a few of these super simple gowns on the red carpet, like the Gabriela Hearst gown worn by actress Danai Guirira. The secret to making such a simple gown, extraordinary lies in the choice of fabric! The pattern is simple: a strapless sheath with a train gathered into the back. The fabric is sheer luxury: peach silk satin. Grace, our model, also suggests the addition of "regal" accessories: white opera length gloves and lots of pearls!!!

 Mary J. Blige certainly has added a special touch to the red carpet this season. Again, this Versace dress is something we see as easy elegance. Easy to wear, easier to make! I started out with silver stretch lame (minidress) over which I wrapped a white sarong skirt. The small epaulets are pleated silk stitched to the neckline.

Sandra Bullock's dress by Louis Vuitton is one of those dresses that looked so comfortable, so glamorous....like gold poured over a simple black Grecian gown. Of course, the look relies on this particular fabric. I didn't have that fabric, but I did have black jersey and the materials to do a little foiling! This is actually a simple tent dress pattern I pulled up to one side and pinned!

I almost didn't replicate Chadwick Boseman's Givenchy suit, worn here by Jamal. But the doll begged me and pointed out how I've been neglecting the Ken dolls in the house. And so....with the film "Black Panther" so much in the headlines, I couldn't say no to making him such a regal suit. All three pieces are basics: shirt, pants and straight coat. I've simply added silver embroidered trim around the shoulders.


Hubert de Givenchy (1982) Photo: Luc Castel. Captured from http://magazine.bellesdemeures.com
We're in the midst of Fashion Month. Our girls are busy on the ground in Milan and Paris. However, I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge the passing of a fashion giant. Mr. Hubert de GIVENCHY passed away Sunday. For those of you who don't know him.....he was the Haute Couturier who dressed Audrey Hepburn in many of her films, most notably: "Breakfast at Tiffany's" as well as Jackie Kennedy, Princess Grace Kelly and many others. I had the honor of meeting Mr. Givenchy on several occasions in Paris. I wrote numerous articles on him and his fashions and worked in collaboration with him for a couple of school projects. Coming soon, I will make a special tribute to the man and his beautiful body of work.

Follow us on Twitter: @FashDollStylist
Like us on Facebook: @FashDollStylist
We're also on Pinterest: @FashDollStylist
And of course, we are on Instagram: @fashiondollstylist



22 comments:

  1. I absolutely love all of these but my favorites are Grace and her gorgeous gown and the Louis Vuitton grecian gown! And thats so sad to hear about Mr.Givenchy! Another legend in the fashion world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. But I must admit...the garment most fun to make was the first Ken doll tuxedo. There were so many details to figure out. I even had to cut the sleeves twice because the first set wouldn't fit over the shirt! The bow tie was another pain, but at the end of the day, I was pretty happy with the results. Grace's gown turned out much better than I anticipated given how almost boring the original dress was. The most difficult was working with the fabric which was crazy slippery. And it is lined!
      Mr. Givenchy touched so many lives. It is difficult to put into words what I feel over his passing. I'm just happy I was part of the fashion scene in Paris while he was still quite active.

      Delete
    2. Did you ever get to meet Mr. Givenchy?

      Delete
    3. My bad i just now realized you have met Mr.Givenchy! I did not see that part when i first read the article.

      Delete
    4. Yes, indeed, I did meet him, wrote articles on him, attended his fashion shows, participated in getting him to interact with students and had one marvelous lunch where I was seated next to him! I also knew a couple of his house models.

      Delete
    5. That is so awesome! Indeed! :)

      Delete
  2. Podziwiam zarówno przepiękne stylizacje i nadzwyczajne kreacje jak i idealne dopasowanie lalki do modelki! U Ciebie perfekcja goni ideał! Wspaniała Gala Oskarowa i przepiękne stroje!
    Żal, że znowu odeszła jedna z Ikon Mody...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olla wrote:
      I admire both beautiful stylizations and extraordinary creations as well as the perfect match of the doll to the model! You perfection chases the ideal! A wonderful Oscar Gala and beautiful costumes!
      It's a pity that one of the Fashion Icons has left again ...

      Olla, Thank yo so much for your very kind words. I think part of the fun is trying to match the doll to the celebrity. Of course their bodies are often different, so there lies the challenge! This is always a fun project that now, in its fifth year, has become an anticipated post here on my blog. And yes...I am so sad that such an extraordinary fashion icon has left this world.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful dresses your authorship. Wonderfully presented and perfectly made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dlubaniny, for your kind words. As usual, this is always such a fun project--from choosing the dolls to replicating the outfits. Happy you enjoyed this.

      Delete
  4. Is Grace a FR doll?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Grace is a "Nadja Rhymes, Out of Sight" doll (2015). There are other variations of her but for me, this one is special because she is the only one with super short flocked hair. (All the others have long, flowing hair.)

      Delete
    2. I think thats why i like her too because her hair is different from the usual long haired dolls.

      Delete
  5. OMG, all of your reproductions are great! I LOVE your version of the Chadwick Boseman Givenchy suit! Do you ever sell these creations???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Phyllis. I almost didn't make Chadwick's suit. But there was something that kept pushing me to do so. After I finished, I checked back to note the origin of the design and discovered it was Givenchy--right about the time Mr. Givenchy's passing was announced on TV.

      Delete
    2. Oops. I forgot to answer your question. For the moment I haven't been selling anything. But from time to time, I have been known to surprise someone with a gift!

      Delete
  6. The gents were my favourite, so glad you decided to include them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you and thank you. The guys, particularly Adam Rippon, were almost more interesting then the women! I have been looking at the guys on the red carpet for awhile. But this is the first time I took the time to make the outfits!

      Delete
  7. Sad to hear Mr. Hubert died...

    I love how you made dress for Janice. Is so ethereal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it is very sad about Mr. Givenchy. But he did live an amazing life until 92. He was part of a generation who created clothes to beautify women as opposed to simply "creating" or "making a statement."
      The secret to Janice's dress is really quite simple. It starts with the choice of fabric, which in this case is a striated chiffon that adds to the airiness of the look.

      Delete
  8. Lovely dresses April! The tuxedo is indeed an unusual combination, but I love how you made the small version! Great job! The other male outfit is also very cool :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I've been overlooking my dude dolls. Much of the menswear catwalk shows are all over the place. So this was the perfect opportunity to do something special!

      Delete

We love hearing from you. Your comment will be published shortly. Please note: SPAM IS NOT TOLERATED. It will be deleted immediately!!