Sunday, October 7, 2018

Dolls Eye View: London Spring 19 Trends

Another city, another chaotic fashion week! There were lots of clothes--some clownish others ho-hum...very little capturing the fancy of my girls. We nearly skipped over this fashion capital, but then you know what happened.... A few looks caught their discerning little eyes. So here is what they found!

Ruffled!
At the end of the day, most of my dolls have girly-girl tastes. This group has as many (or as few) ruffles as any girl could want. I'm not sure I would wear any of this, but if you are a doll--preferably a playline or fashionista Barbie, a Monster High or a My Scene..these dresses are perfectly suited for you. What's particularly new and fresh here are the dresses bursting with ruffled prints and patterns!
Katoucha shows what happens when you transform an animal print into perky little dress. This is essentially a strapess tube dress topped off with rows of striped and spotted ruffles.

Short Stop
In London, there are two dominant lengths for summer--super short, very long. For this group we see tailored jackets belted over short-shorts, kicky little body-skimming dresses with ruffled trimmed sleeves and a modern day version of a Paco Rabanne shift dress--covered from edge to edge cellophane paillettes.
For China's dress, I couldn't find the oval shaped paillets used in the original dress, but I did have these square translucent blue paillets on hand. I made a foundation using four layers of soft blue tulle then, one by one, stitched on rows of blue transparent paillets using "invisible" thread. I used clear vinyl for the straps. The clear vinyl boots seemed to be the perfect accessory for this "space age" fashion.

The Slink
The ease and fluidity of 1930's fashion is incorporated into these comfortable, breezy dresses. We love how the silhouettes literally slinks over the body. For day this ankle length cotton dress serves as a canvas for an interesting abstract print. While for evening, we like how silhouettes literally pour over the body in a sparkly fabric falling into asymmetrical hemlines.

Jacob's Ladder
Flat, geometric shapes joined together with tiny straps.....what could be more modern! I treated this like a puzzle by starting out with a basic shape, slashing it, then pulling it all together with a web of straps. The ease or difficulty of realizing any of these looks is largely dictated by the fabric you choose, so I discovered.
I used a rayon jersey fabric for Zoe's dress. It is a simple column dress with a deep V cut out in the front. There aren't many straps within the V-neck, however, the doll's body doesn't react the same as humans, and adjusting the straps was quite tricky. I used 1/8" (3mm) ribbon for the lattice work. At first I decided it was too wide, so I removed them and used embroidery yarn. The yarn pulled the V out of shape, so I replaced them with the ribbon!
On the other hand, I had a lot more success with Sybille's dress. It started out as a basic strapless sheath cut from a more structured stretch crepe. The dress is actually in one piece! I did this for control! I cut out a V shape over the doll's belly and I simply made a slash over the thighs. Here, I used full strands of embroidery yarn (instead of ribbon) which is threaded into a needle and sewn in place. We were both much more happy with the result!


Stay tuned...I'm told things are going much better in Milan, our next stop on the fashion month train!

Follow us on Twitter: @FashDollStylist
Like us on Facebook: @FashDollStylist
We're also on Pinterest: @FashDollStylist
And of course, we are on Instagram: @fashiondollstylist

7 comments:

  1. I really like your versions of black outfits with straps. They are so great.
    I wish you made the second dress from "the Slink" - I love this deep colour with sparkles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kamelia for your kind words. There wasn't much I liked in London, but I did love those dresses with the straps. It was like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. I wanted to make that beautiful gown you liked, but the fabric is key to the look and I could not find anything close to that fabric.

      Delete
  2. Czarne suknie a'la puzzle są znakomite! Efekt jest rewelacyjny i bardzo mi się marzy taki strój dla moich dziewczyn :-)
    Trzeba być jednak dobrym krawcem, aby pocięte kawałki odpowiednio z sobą skomponować i aby dobrze leżały na modelce!
    Lejące, błyszczące kreacje są też piękne :-)
    Fantastyczny post, pozdrawiam gorąco!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olla wrote: The black dresses a'la puzzle are great! The effect is sensational and I really dream of such an outfit for my girls :-)
      But you have to be a good tailor, to cut the pieces properly together and to lay on the model well!
      Falling, shiny creations are also beautiful :-)
      Fantastic post, greet warmly!

      Thank you, Olla. Yes, the puzzle dresses are really intriguing. I learned many things making these. The one that appears to be in 2 pieces was the easier of the two! The "simpler" gown was very difficult because the doll's body doesn't behave in the same manner as a human form! I think it is best to use a more structured fabric for success.

      Delete
  3. I can't wait for Milan! I might not every get to Europe for fashion week but I can enjoy it from your blog. I love your recreations the most! I might have to copy that jewelry. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Leo. I think a lot of people get their fashion news from this blog. You get to see only those items worth looking at after I have sifted through lots of junk! The jewelry is fun. When the outfits are simple, I love to pile on the bracelets. That's how I would accessorize those dresses if I wore them!

      Delete
  4. Your dress version are great. I admire your patience.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you. Your comment will be published shortly. Please note: SPAM IS NOT TOLERATED. It will be deleted immediately!!