Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Dressed to the Nines


In numerology, the number nine represents completion. It represents a culmination of wisdom and experience, the energy exuded in both endings with the promise of new beginnings.

Priya
At first, much of what we were doing was pretty new to this community. Sure there were dolly fashion designers, but they were few and far between. But it seems as though once we got started with the notion that ordinary folks like you and me could make clothes that actually resembled current trends, things began to take off. As witnessed by the millions of dolly images that have exploded on social media, everybody is fashion conscious now and I am amazed by the large number of designers who are showing (and selling) their 1/6 scale high fashion wares. And almost all of it closely replicates current action on global catwalks. Whether the presence of our blog had anything to do with inspiring this movement is debatable, but we would like to think, if nothing else, we were at least one of the catalysts and perhaps even the source of a few creative ideas.
Fatima

As with the beginning of this pandemic, last year was rough. As I’ve said on many occasions, designers don’t close themselves off in ivory towers. You need to be out in the world seeing things, living life. This has been quite difficult during lockdowns, health protocols and the sort. In addition to a number of personal challenges that got in the way of doll play for me, last year, my creative juices were bordering on empty. It wasn't as easy as looking at photos of catwalk shows because the aesthetics in this industry have radically changed. Many of the iconic designers have either retired or passed away, leaving behind a new generation more likely to design costumes than clothes for the rest of us. Many of the red carpet events continue to be cancelled or scaled back so there was little to see in Hollywood. And just as Covid seemed to be waning and things begin to open up....along came the Omnicron variant! 

Angela
As a result, 2021 saw only 21 posts, the least amount since we launched nine years ago.That said….those were some pretty awesome posts!!! We started off the year by making rag jackets out of fabric and yarn scraps. Then we spoiled the ladies with the latest in pearl jewelry. For those of you requesting an alternative to stilettos, there were new additions to our Shoe Biz tutorials which included tutorials on flat shoes and flip-flops. We paid homage to the late, great iconic American designer, Halston with some easy to make vintage 70's dresses. And we featured his muse and jewelry designer friend, Elsa Peretti by creating tiny replicas of her sculptural Tiffany's jewelry.  We were finally able to take in two outstanding exhibits, one honoring the late Patrick Kelly and the second exploring the world of Thierry Mugler. We roamed the streets of Paris at Christmastime which allowed us to share the beautiful display of lights and animated store windows. And then to top it all off..we showed our dude dolls some love by with our most detailed Master class tutorials: the man’s classic trousers and and the basic dress shirt!
Tatyana

Seven new dolls came into the house last year: Tatyana (named after German model, Tatjana Patitz otherwise known as “Dasha Purity” (2013).  Rob (named after model, Rob Evans) is an Adonis doll from the Mizidoll collection. Priya, IT’s Wild Feeling Rayna Ahmadi (2020); Dovima (named after the 1950’s supermodel of the same name) otherwise known as Eugenia Wicked Narcissism (2020); Fatima (named after model Fatima Said) otherwise known as IT’s “Bijou Elyse;” Angela, otherwise known as IT’s “Fit to Print Nanja (2021); and Taraji (named after actress Taraji P. Henson), otherwise known as “Soul Deep Adele” (2010). 

But here again, I feel I must speak out... As a collector, these past few years have been challenging. Prices on all things dolls have shot up to astronomical proportions. Thank goodness I began collecting 10 years ago when prices were reasonable and it was a sheer pleasure to go indulge in the hunt for the next doll or pair of shoes. If I were just getting into this today...well, let's just say, I wouldn't have the collection I have right now. I might not even be in this hobby. Inflation and supply chain issues aside, we have speculators in our midst whose only interest is to profit dearly from our addition. 

Rob

And so, the question on your mind is…what to expect in the year to come. There is no simple answer except to say…we will continue to roll with the punches. There is already an enormous amount of content on this blog. I will go through the 445 posts to see what can be updated. Our approach to fashion reports might be altered to some degree due to all of the changes the industry has encountered. Fashion houses post their collections at random these days, so it is not always easy to put them in categories by location. For Haute Couture and menswear, there has not been a lot to love these past few seasons. So instead of presenting themes, we are considering doing a “best of.”  

Taraji

I am grateful to all of you who follow my blog. Whether or not you are someone who leaves a comment,.I know that you are there and that does my heart and soul a world of good. Just know that no matter how many or how few posts we put up….we are still here for you and your dolls. And besides...you know that I have a whole bunch of 12-1/2" fashion victims in my bedroom who face me every morning with lists of demands (shoes, dresses, jewelry, boyfriends....). And they are not going to let me stop!!!

Dovima
 So let’s get started and prepare to round out this decade with a wish for lots of pretty dollies and more ways to keep them in the height of fashion.  

Big dolly hugs from April and her guys and dolls.....



All photos and text property of Fashion Doll Stylist 2022.

Like us on Facebook: @FashDollStylist
We're also on Pinterest: @FashDollStylist
And of course, we are on Instagram: @fashiondollstylist



12 comments:

  1. LOL, 'their list of demands'. Of course looking forward to anything you post despite my dolls, only hoping to be 'clean and comfortable'. I do love the process and the creativity. I find your designs far superior to the originals..because they look comfortable. If something 'looks' itchy---its a total 'no' for me. Grins and Happy 2022! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sandi and thank you for your friendship and for following me throughout this journey in dollyland. A lot of the catwalk shows today have so much "uncomfortable" stuff on them. It makes me wonder what, on earth, are they teaching the designers in school! I don't see anyone wearing any version of what I see in today's fashion capitals. The dolls are an extension of myself. They wear would I would be wearing if I had the same lifestyle from my younger days. So when I finish, the doll really has to look "comfortable" in what she's wearing. Anyway, let's toast to a new and hopefully fun filled dolly new year. Big hugs. April

      Delete
  2. Dovima is so wonderful. Real nice stockings...
    Regards Irene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Irene. I LOVE Dovima. She's a supermodel in my house.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this retrospective for your nine years and for the year that has just ended. It's true when it comes to fashion and fashion shows, it's been two years since we've had as much novelty as before. We have to content ourselves with parades on the internet ... it's better than nothing. I really like your post as always. We can't wait to see your new sewing tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you Shasarignis for your friendship and fidelity throughout my journey here. Yes, things have really changed in these last two years. I suppose we will also be forced to adapt to these changes. I simply hope fashion will get better! Big hugs. April

      Delete
  4. The pandemic has forced all of us to make drastic changes. We are now experiencing a new normal. Dolls remain an outlet and alternative to life’s realities and harshness.

    I am happy you are still here to share your fashion designs, tutorials, and information with us.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Debbie, for your kind words. Dolls have been a wonderful way to help me throughout this pandemic. They help me bridge the gap between the old (fashion and ways of doing things) and the new aesthetics. By creating clothes for them, I understand the "statement" a bit better. I am so happy that you, a well-known authority on Black dolls, enjoy my site. I feel quite flattered. Big dolly hugs. April

      Delete
  5. I don't have much time lately to visit blogs but I always try to find a second to visit yours. I love your posts, dolls, creativity, ideas, creations - everything!
    I'm very happy you're here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kamelia, I do appreciate your stopping by to leave a word. And I am so happy and flattered that you love my blog. Thank you for your friendship and thank you for being there. Big dolly hugs and kisses. April

      Delete
  6. Hi April! Sorry, it has taken me two weeks to get back to you. I haven't been spending much time online checking what others are doing, but rather working on stuff behind the scenes.

    Fun fact, when I was reading the new dolls' names i thought "I wonder if she has a doll called Dovima" and bam! there's a Dovima. It's such a beautiful name, and pretty unique.

    Actually, 21 posts in one year is pretty good, specially if we're talking about more in-depth and detailed posts. I published 26 posts in 2021 and I was quite proud of myself. Don't be so hard on yourself! Also, let's face it, after over 400 posts I also would be wondering what can I come up with next. Your blog is a fabulous resource of information, and I did actually made my very first doll garment following one of your old tutorials (A trace of style).

    Happy anniversary, and I hope we can see your creations 9 years more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh MC, no need to apologize. I know how it is. I've been so behind, it takes everything for me to try and get back on schedule. I think part of my problem is that I, like many, am suffering "Covid fatigue!" It's like a form of burn-out. But I seem to be coming out of it. And yes, after 400 posts like the kind I produce, it does get more difficult to find new things to do! But I am quite proud of the legacy I leave online. Dovima is so amazing!!! Thank you again, for your very kind words and thank you for your friendship.

      Delete

We love hearing from you. Your comment will be published shortly. Please note: SPAM IS NOT TOLERATED. It will be deleted immediately!!